Thursday, May 22, 2014


Today's Rant


Today, I wrote an enthusiastic email, in all sincerity, thanking a human resources professional for letting me know that I am not among those chosen for further consideration for a job.

Yes, you read that right. I thanked someone who told me, we’re not sure yet which candidate we’ll choose to fill our opening, but it’s definitely not going to be you.

And yes, there was not even a drop of sarcasm in my email.

What the?

Here’s What the:

At one time, long, long ago, when many out there in cyberspace were not yet even born, it was common practice for a company to respond to an application – in writing, or perhaps by phone. In any case, they let you know whether or not you were chosen, or were even still in the running.

It’s true. I swear, it’s true.

Companies actually showed sufficient consideration of an applicant’s effort to let them know their status in regard to a potential job!

You might ask, what was up with that?

I, instead, ask, what’s up with the currently common practice of ignoring applications that aren’t chosen?

Sure, bottom line, it takes time to respond, and time is worth something.

Well, guess what, employers – it takes time to put in an application, and the applicant’s time is also worth something.

Kudos to the woman who sent me today’s rejection! She proved that human decency is not yet dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment